Living with Osteoarthritis

"you should apply for disability benefits." Apart from the fact that this is a huge joke in Nigeria, this is how silly some of my friends are about my condition (I'm not even mad). There are days when I completely feel disabled, like a switch was turned off. 


This diagram explains what living with OA feels like. 0-3 does not exist. It's like sighting an actual unicorn 

DISCLAIMER : I'm not writing in the capacity of a doctor, I'm just sharing my experience. 


Osteoarthritis (OA) is a form of arthritis that features the breakdown and eventual loss of the cartilage of one or more joints. It commonly affects the hands, feet, spine, and large weight-bearing joints, such as the hips and knees. Osteoarthritis usually has no known cause and is referred to as primary osteoarthritis. When the cause is known, the condition is referred to as secondary osteoarthritis. In my case, it's primary osteoarthritis.

The most common symptom of osteoarthritis is pain in the affected joint(s). Again, in my case, my knee. Pain and stiffness of the joints can also occur after long periods of inactivity. So, whether I do the most or the absolute least, I'm in trouble either ways. The goal of treatment is to reduce joint pain and inflammation while improving and maintaining joint function. Surgery is generally reserved for those patients with osteoarthritis that is particularly severe and unresponsive to the conservative treatments. I had to undergo 2 surgeries. There is no prevention of osteoarthritis with the exception of avoiding joint injury. Fammmm!! I have used drugs, balms, gels, supplements, anointing oil, physiotherapy, yoga (most recently), you name it. I can't use the language of men to describe the pain. The PAIN!!!!

I've lived with this condition for over 30 years. I was diagnosed as a child (wrongly diagnosed in our beloved Nigeria). Some days are better than others. There’s no cure for osteoarthritis, but there are things I do that make a difference to how the condition affects me. There are also some treatments available that significantly reduce pain. My symptoms are pain(during and after movement), stiffness 

(joint stiffness after being inactive for a while), no flexibility (inability to move my joint through its full range of motion), Grating sensation (popping or crackling), Bone spurs (I had this at the beginning, which was the reason for the surgeries. Bone spurs are extra bits of bone, which feel like hard lumps that around the affected joint.I had the bones removed and they're sitting in my box somewhere). 

I can't do a lot of things but I try. Also, meds, exercise, weight control and diet help. Haven't done much of exercising and dieting in a while but #wemove.

Another time, I might talk about the misdiagnosis but for today, this is it. Living with OA. 

 

Comments

  1. I feel your pain, I was diagnosed Osgood-Schlatter disease and football and taekwondo became difficult but #wemove, this too shall pass and it only gets better,be strong, life is good and wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts